Friday, December 21, 2007

iphone data roaming problems

Stories abound about iphone users being charged excessively for data whilst they are travelling. A recent tale was of a US customer who took his iphone to Europe. Although he never made a call and checked his emails once or twice, he received a $3000 bill for his troubles as his phone was set to check his email every 10 minutes. At least with a Blackberry it only checks the headers rather than downloading the whole email.

Still interested in an iphone I called O2 in the UK:
'What are the datacharges if I take my phone abroad?' I asked.
'The roaming charges for calls and SMS are published on our site' the representative told me.
Me: 'But what about data?'
O2: 'It depends on which country you travel to' (really? I thought data roaming charges were standard apart from a few exceptions).
Me: ' I got to France a lot, how much is it to get my email there?'
After checking with her supervisor I was told: 'The charges are set by the local network, its up to them.'
Me: 'That's simply not true. You charge me and it's on my bill. Contractually you would have to advise me of the charges, or at least publish them on your website.'
I searched their website to see, whilst the operator put me on hold to talk to her supervisor again. Finally, using a google search I found a page, clicked the link and it was dead.
O2: 'We don't know how much it is to use an iphone in France.'
Me: 'Most people take their phone abraod, surely if I'm going to buy an iphone I'll need to know how much it costs to use it?'

The conversation ended shortly afterwards. They didn't offer to find out, and were completely unable to give me the costs of data. In short, much as I like the functionality of the phone (I am a Mac user) the restrictions from the networks means I will never buy one until they drop the roaming data charges.

No comments: