Sunday, August 27, 2006

Paypal Mobile

After some months of chasing I finally got to email someone at Paypal Mobile about how we can integrate their product into our SMS/Mobile Content Management system.

Unfortunately they are not remotely interested. I was told that:
"Paypal Mobile is focussed on the retail sector for real products and macro payments, rather than mobile content, text messages or downloads."

OK, fine, so how about using mobile phones to pay for these 'real' products then?

I was told:
"We can only take payments via a website. WAP payments will not be enabled until early 2007 at best." And I believe there are no plans to allow payments by SMS.

I find this all very disappointing. Developers such as ourselves are looking for mobile payment systems that don't have the costs and problems of network based PSMS. Here are Paypal, with the ability to provide a killer application for mobile payments but they're not interested.